The Museum Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf was founded in 1987. It is dedicated to the research and mediation of the regional history of the borough and the cultural history of Berlin in general.
Since January 2012, the museum is housed in the Oppenheim Villa. The prestigious villa, built in 1881, was the summer residence for Margarete Oppenheim (née Mendelssohn) and Otto Georg Oppenheim. In 1911 the Oppenheim Villa was sold to the city of Charlottenburg. The former estate at this place, already inhabited by the Mendelssohn family, was named “Sorgenfrei” (sans souci), which is also the title of an exhibition documenting both, the history of the villa and its inhabitants.